Continuing the discussion from Guidance for new users:
On this subject. I think its best to keep the default settings.
New Users cannot...
- Send private messages to other users
- Reply as new topic in the right gutter (UI removed)
- Flag posts
- Post any images
- Post any attachments
- Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
- Have actual links in the 'about me' field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
- Mention more than 2 users in a post
If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit, Discourse will upgrade them to a basic user.
They can get to BASIC by:
- entering at least 5 topics
- reading at least 50 posts
- spend a total of 15 minutes reading posts
I don't think this is much to ask. What do you think?